Phoenix CPA

Phoenix Accounting | Missing W-2?

For most tax payers, they will receive their W-2 from their employers by the end of January. The form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, shows your total earnings for the year and the taxes that were withheld throughout the year. There can also be other vital pieces of information you or your tax preparer will need. You will need this form to file an accurate income tax return. But what do you do if you don’t receive your W-2 by mid-February and you need to get your taxes done? Here are some steps you can take:

  • Contact your employer. Asking your employer can be the easiest way to obtain a copy of your W-2. The employer might have had the incorrect address on file when they mailed the original W-2 out. Be sure to update your address to the correct one.
  • After February 23rd, if you are not able to obtain a copy from your employer, you can call the IRS at 800-829-1040. The IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf requesting they forward you a copy of the W-2. You will need the following information when you call:
    • Your name, address, social security number and phone number
    • Your employer’s name, address and phone number
    • The dates you worked for the employer
    • An estimate of the wages your earned and the federal income tax withheld from you throughout the year (your final pay stub can be used for these amounts)
  • File on time without a W-2. Your tax return is still going to be due on April 15th. Use form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Here you will estimate your wages and withholding. The IRS may take more time to process your return while they verify the information. You may also need to file an amended tax return if you locate your W-2.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further, feel free to contact us at Dusseau & Makris, PC, your Phoenix CPA firm.